Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Money and Meatballs

Today my guilt at not working full time has driven me to start listing things on Trademe. I used to do this quite often but haven't for a while (must've sold all my stuff!) but today I finished work early because there wasn't much for me to do, and here I am sitting at home feeling guilty about not earning money. I'm usually quite successful with my trademe listings, so hopefully this won't be a fruitless exercise.

The flatmate made meatballs for tea last night, and I actually ate and enjoyed them. I say this with surprise because I've been trialling an "almost vegetarian" life for the past 6 months or so, and am pretty much (well I thought so anyway) at the stage where I really don't want to eat meat, as in it makes me feel a bit sick to think of it. The meatballs smelled so good, and I figured I could use the iron so down they went. Its amazing how filling red meat is - I'd forgotten. Sure I've been get enough protein from legumes/pulses/nuts/eggs/dairy but I think there must be something extra filling about meat protein! Having said that I still lean towards the mostly vege side of the fence.

4 comments:

Andrea Eames said...

Oh dear, I know that guilt! :( Hope Trade-me gets rid of it for you.

I've been living as an almost-vegetarian for a while, too, and I've noticed that I feel and look healthier. Have you seen it make much impact on your body? Would be interested to know :)

(I do enjoy some meat from time to time ... can't quite give up the occasional spaghetti bolognese!)

Jenn said...

Its definitely made my digestive system a lot more healthy (without going into too much detail!) although this is probably also due to a more natural diet all round. No weight loss unfortunately, probably because I compensate not having meat by having more carbs.
One of the best advantages is the lower grocery bill, although I use this to justify buying expensive organic stuff!

Julia said...

have you ever checked out girlsgonechild.net? todays post seems particularly relevent to the meat/nonmeat thang(actually, the entire blog is relevant - to everything. she's so witty and most everything she writes is thought provoking - I don't always agree with her, but she's pretty darn cool. Dave hardly eats red meat, just cause he doesn't like the taste, and I can't say I eat a lot now either (Britain+Beef = a bit scary) - i think it definitely makes me feel healthier.

Toby said...

Jen - I can't believe you ate bits of my cow! In defense of my tasty meatballs they had carrot, onion, garlic, potato and apple in them - I mean they were a good 50% vege-balls.

But you are right lots of veges equals feel better. I noticed that the last month of eating more veges and fruit through the day.